Les mots clés et expressions:
Definition : A remote team, a team distributed across multiple locations, a group of people who don't share a common location at the same time
Translation : Equipe virtuelle
Definition : The team leader, e.g the e-leader, the person who exercises leadership through electronic means
Translation : Chef de projet
Manage performance from a distance (to)
Definition : To oversee team efforts from afar, to control team input without being in the same place
Translation : Gérer les efforts à distance
Be in synch with the rest of the team (to)
Definition : To be in keeping with the other colleagues
Translation : Travailler en Harmonie
Give employee wide decision-making powers (to)
Definition : To attribute the right to the employees to be able to make a large number of decisions, to empower employees to make important decisions
Translation : Accorder de larges pouvoir
Be autonomous (to)
Definition : To be able to work independently, to be capable of working on one's own
Translation : Travailler de manière autonome
Fix a one on one time to each team member (to)
Definition : To arrange a private slot for each individual on a regular basis
Translation : Travailler de manière autonome
Establish communication protocols (to)
Definition : to set up communication guidelines (commication is not correct)
Translation : Etablir des protocoles de communication
Set norms and performance criteria (to)
Definition : to establish a code of conduct, to create a set of rules which stipulate the best way to work
Translation : Créer une charte des meilleures pratiques
Have progress updates posted on the intranet (to)
Definition : to put current progress reports on the intranet, to keep everybody informed of project status via the Intranet
Translation : Publier les comptes rendus des projets sur l'intranet
Have weekly conference call (to)
Definition : To set up a conference call on a weekly basis, to hold a conference call every week
Translation : Tenir une conférence téléphonique hebdomadaire
Review project status and goals (to)
Definition : To check on project development and objectives, to see exactly where things stand in project development
Translation : Faire le point sur les tâches et les objectifs
Coordinate assignments (to)
Definition : To organize specific tasks at the right time and with the right people, to delegate jobs to the right people to fit un with the overall time schedule
Translation : Coordonner les missions
Schedule a date in one's diary (to)
Definition : To reserve a date in one's schedule, to plan in advance a specific event at a specific time in the future
Translation : Fixer une date dans son agenda
Check one's diary (to)
Definition : To have a look at one's schedule, to consult one's diary
Translation : Vérifier son agenda
Definition : To keep someone informed of the latest changes or developments, to give someone the most recent news
Translation : Mettre à jour
Definition : a debriefing, a detailed account, minutes from a meeting.
Translation : Compte rendu
Send a memo to all employee (to)
Definition : To give all emplyees the same information, to remind all employees about something at the same time.
Translation : Envoyer un mémorandum global
Definition : a company card, a small card with all the essential contact details of the company you represent
Translation : Carte de visite
Work on-line (to)
Definition : To perform one's business on the computer via email and the internet
Translation : Travailler en ligne
Definition : A portable computer, that can easily be carried from one place to another
Translation : Ordinateur portable
Definition : A cellular phone, a portable telephone
Translation : Téléphone portable
Definition : A get together with the other members of the team, an opportunity to be with the other colleagues for work purposes.
Translation : Conseil d'équipe
Les usages à respecter:
• The British are very respectful towards dates and times set for appointments. If something unexpected occurs to delay your arrival, you should call to inform those concerned and apologize immediately upon arrival.
• Remember the time difference between the various coun triesand respect local time when trying to contact employees.
• If you are setting up a phone conference, always indicate the time in local time as well as your time zone.
• Always mention the international dialing code if you expect someone to call you. • In the UK, it’s common practice for a secretary to sign on behalf of her boss by signing her name after the letters «p.p.», and then writing the boss’s name underneath. This abbreviation comes from the expression «per procurationem », meaning on behalf of.
Quelques règles de bon anglais:
Remember and remind When telling someone not to forget to do something, we can use «remember» or «remind», according to the context.
• Remember to send in your weekly reports by Friday (the team leader is speaking directly to the rest of the team).
• Can you please remind all team members to finish their end of year sales figures by the end of next week (the boss asks the secretary to do it).
Fill in the missing word(s), then check the result below :
report, laptop, a distance, virtual teams, business card, schedule, mobile phone, my diary, in synch, assignments, a memo, a team spirit, a team / review, update me, conference call.
1. Due to modern trends of globalisation and outsourcing, managers are now having to face the challenge of managing ............ , rather than managing staff in the same geographical location.
2. Supervisors must be able to manage performance from ............ , because they don’t have regular face to face contact with the team members.
3. Nowadays, one can work from almost anywhere in the world and still be able to continue with one’s business and consult one’s electronic mail via one’s ............ computer.
4. Here’s my ............. Please don’t hesitate to contact me on either of these numbers, or send me an email to the address written here.
5. If you can’t get hold of me at the office number, then please try my ............ If I’m not available, you can leave a message and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
6. When forming part of a virtual team, it’s essential to be ............ with the rest of the team in order to maintain a harmonious working relationship.
7. The Project Manager wants to have ............ meeting next month in order to ........... project status and goals.
8. I’ll have to check ............ to make sure I haven’t already arranged any other business trips at the same time.
9. Let’s have a quick coffee and you can ........... on the new project, so I know more or less what’s going on.
10. I’m meeting my team leader at 2 p.m. to give him a full ............. of my recent trip to Singapore.
11. The team leader must follow very closely what each team member is doing and when, so that he can coordinate .......... effectively to fit in with the overall work schedule.
12. Could you please send ........... to all employees to remind them to send in their end of year sales figures by Friday ?
13. We really must .......... a date in our diaries for the next monthly meeting as soon as possible before we all get booked up with other commitments.
14. I have decided to have a weekly .......... with all team members every Friday morning at 10 a.m. in an attempt to improve communication within the team.
15. When dealing with virtual team members, it’s essential to try to bridge cultural distances and to set up methods and exercises to build .......... , so that all individuals have a real sense of belonging despite their physical isolation.
SOLUTIONS : 1 : virtual teams. 2 : a distance. 3 : laptop. 4 : business card. 5 : mobile phone. 6 : in synch. 7 : a team / review. 8 : my diary. 9 : update me. 10 : report. 11 : assignments. 12 : a memo. 13 : schedule. 14 : conference call. 15 : a team spirit.