Les mots clés et expressions:
Definition : a list of people not present at a meeting, who informed the organizer in advance.
Translation : Excusé
Definition : to bring to a conclusion.
Translation : Mener, effectuer
Definition : to treat an issue, to deal with something, to take care of a matter.
Translation : s’occuper de, se charger de
Definition : to talk about a subject.
Translation : Aborder
Definition : items for discussion at a meeting.
Translation : Ordre du jour
Diary (uk)/calendar (usa)
Definition : a list of all meetings and appointments including dates and times.
Translation : Agenda
Aob (any other business)
Definition : miscellaneous subjects not on the agenda.
Translation : Autres sujets divers
Definition : to share ideas from all members of the group.
Translation : Remue-méninges
Definition : the person in charge of the meeting, who decides when each person may speak.
Translation : Organisateur, leader
Definition : something you must do, something required.
Translation : Obligatoire
Definition : final statements at the end of a meeting.
Translation : Remarques finales
Definition : to propose something for consideration or judgement by others.
Translation : Proposer
Definition : a room for a meeting.
Translation : Salle de réunion
Definition : a time or date by which something must be done.
Translation : Date butoir
Definition : to select or assign someone for a duty or task.
Translation : Assigner
Definition : a written record of the meeting.
Translation : Compte rendu
Definition : when someone has the power to vote in your place if you cannot be at a meeting.
Translation : Procuration
Definition : to plan something for a certain date or time.
Translation : Programmer
Show of hands
Definition : to put your hand in the air to vote on a subject.
Translation : Vote à main levée
Definition : the place where something is situated.
Translation : Lieu
Let’s get started
Definition : to begin (usually used at the beginning of a meeting to get the participants attention).
Translation : Débutons
That covers the first item
Definition : to end a discussion about the first item on the agenda.
Translation : Cela clôt le premier point
Sum up (to)
Definition : to present a summary or a recapitulation.
Translation : Récapituler
To have something to add
Definition : to comment on an item or to put forth your ideas on a subject.
Translation : Avoir quelque chose à ajouter
Definition : a reaction, response to something (can be positive or negative).
Translation : Retour
I’m afraid i disagree
Definition : to have a different opinion than the one stated.
Translation : Je crains de ne pas être d’accord
I’d have to agree with x
Definition : to have the same opinion as someone.
Translation : Je suis d’accord avec X
I didn’t catch that. could you repeat that please ?
Definition : to ask the person to restate what he/she has said because you are not sure that you understand.
Translation : Je ne suis pas sûr d’avoir compris. Pouvez-vous répéter, s’il vous plaît ?
Definition : to end a meeting or to finish it temporarily.
Translation : Mettre fin, reporter
Wrap up (to)
Definition : to end, to finish a meeting or to close a subject.
Translation : Conclure
Les usages à respecter:
Reported speech is also called indirect speech. We use reported speech when we talk about the past. The verbs therefore usually have to be in the past too. This is often used in minutes that are sent out after a meeting.
• Bob : “I will accept the 10% discount.” Reported speech : Bob said he would accept the 10% discount.
These are often used in spoken English to ask for confirmation. Take, for instance, the sentence : «He goes to work.» Turn it into a question : «Does he go to work?» Then take the two first words : «Does he ?» And change them. If they are affirmative, turn them negative, and if they are negative, turn them affirmative : «Doesn’t he ?» Final sentence : «He goes to work, doesn’t he ?»
• You understand, don’t you ?
• The meeting is on Tuesday, isn’t it ?
Quelques règles de bon anglais:
• Business cards should be distributed at the beginning of the meeting.
• Be on time. Often meeting rooms are fully booked, so that meetings cannot go over the set time limit.
• Direct eye contact is important.
• Do not have individual side conversations during a meeting, this is often seen as suspicious and rude.
• Meetings should be set in the typical work hours and not continue later than 17:30.
• It is very impolite to interrupt someone who is speaking. Wait until he/she have finished before you comment on what he/she said.
• In the USA, there is often general chitchat before a meeting is called to order.
• A new style of agenda is being used more often in USA. Instead of listing the topic of discussion, it lists the expected outcome.
Example : Agreement on new logistics provider.
• Send the agenda in advance to all participants and their secretaries. If you have trouble finding a date and time, you should have your secretary call your participant’s secretary in order to quickly find a date and time instead of wasting time by sending emails
Fill in the missing word(s), then check the result below :
to sum up, apologies, show of hands, That covers the first item, address, adjourn, agenda, AOB, brainstorm, I’m afraid I disagreemandatory, to schedule, deadline, minutes, proxy vote, wrap up, to schedule, feedback, let’s get started.
1. In the minutes, Marc was noted under ............ because he was unable to attend the meeting.
2. The next item on the agenda that I would like to ........... is the training budget for 2008.
3. The meeting will ............ at 12:30 for lunch.
4. The ............ lists five topics of discussion for our meeting today by the bar.
5. Would anyone like to raise ............ that has not been listed on the agenda before we end today’s meeting ?
6. Let’s ............ some ideas for the new marketing campaign. We will go around the table and each of you will give me at least one idea.
7. The meeting is ........... for all development engineers, so you must attend the meeting on November 12th.
8. The ........... for the human resources report is November 10. Therefore we can schedule a meeting on November 12 to discuss the conclusions.
9. The .......... from the meeting were very useful : it listed all the conclusions and clearly stated who was designa- ted for each task.
10. Notification of a ........... must be given to the chairperson prior to the meeting so that everyone is clear on who will be casting a vote.
11. I would like ........... the next meeting in six months time to discuss the progress we have made on the subjects presented today.
12. Let’s see a ........... of all those in favour of taking a fifteen minute break.
13. We need to ........... this item so that we can continue on to the next item on the agenda.
14. During the meeting we got a lot of positive ........... concerning the new proposal, therefore I think we should do it.
15. The agenda says we should start at nine, it is now nine so .........., the first item on the agenda concerns our new Web page.
16. .........., let’s move on to the second.
17. So, ........... this discussion, we all agree to a ten percent discount if orders exceed two hundred units.
18. I understand that Deborah wants to reduce the budget but, ........... I think we should increase it.
SOLUTIONS : : 1 : apologies. 2 : address. 3 : adjourn. 4 : agenda. 5 : AOB. 6 : brainstorm 7 : mandatory. 8 : deadline. 9 : minutes. 10 : proxy vote. 11 : to schedule. 12 : show of hands. 13 : wrap up. 14 : feedback. 15 : let’s get started. 16 : That covers the first item. 17 : to sum up. 18 : I’m afraid I disagree.