Les mots clés et expressions:
Definition : headquarters, the main office.
Translation : Siège
Is located in
Definition : is established geographically in, is situated in.
Translation : Se situe à
Definition : a business or firm controlled by another via ownership of more than fifty percent of the voting stock.
Translation : Filiale
Definition : the holding company, the owning company.
Translation : Maison mère
Definition : the principal occupation, the main type of work in which the company is involved.
Translation : Activité principale
Definition : a plant, a factory, a place where goods are manufactured.
Translation : Centre de production
Definition : product line, selection of items.
Translation : Gamme de produits
Retail outlet (uk), store (us)
Definition : a shop, a place that sells goods made by a particular company.
Translation : Point de vente
Definition : amount of business done by a company in a year, the amount of money earned in a year.
Translation : Chiffre d’affaires annuel
Definition : a financial gain, the difference between an initial outlay and the subsequent amount earned.
Translation : Bénéfice
Definition : a particular make of goods, a specific name given to a product to identify it.
Translation : Marque
Definition : the registered design, name or logo used to identify a manufacturer’s goods and to prevent unauthorized use.
Translation : Marque déposée
Definition : company offices.
Translation : Locaux de travail
Do business with (to)
Definition : to work with, to collaborate with.
Translation : Travailler avec
Our market share
Definition : our proportion of the market, our percentage of the market.
Translation : Notre part du marché
Be the market leader (to)
Definition : to be in first place on the market, to be number one.
Translation : Etre numéro 1 sur le marché
Definition : a provider, a source of provision, a person or a firm that provides something.
Translation : Fournisseur
Definition : a wholesale dealer, a company or person that sells in large quantities to another company or to a shop.
Translation : Grossiste
Definition : a person or a company that buys from or does business with a company.
Translation : Client
Definition : a rival company, a company in the same sort of business or trying to sell a similar product to the same market.
Translation : Concurrent
Definition : the total number of employees, all staff working for a specific company.
Translation : Nombre d’employés
Definition : field, sector, different subdivisions to describe a company’s areas of activity.
Translation : Secteur
Deal with (to)
Definition : to look after, to take care of, to see to.
Translation : S’occuper de
Be in charge of (to)
Definition : to be responsible for, to run, to oversee.
Translation : Gérer
Definition : parts, elements needed for production.
Translation : Pièces
Definition : well-fitted out, furnished with all necessary equipment.
Translation : Bien équipé
Definition : establi shed, initially created, launched.
Translation : Fondé
We hold ourselves to very high standards
Definition : we try to achieve an excellent level of satisfaction.
Translation: Nous cherchons l’excellence
Definition : an office located somewhere other than the firm’s main location, a smaller establishment doing the same line of business as the main branch.
Translation : Succursale
Definition : all over the world, dispersed in different countries.
Translation : Mondial
Definition : concentrate on a particular product or service, skilled in a specific area of work.
Translation : Spécialisé dans
Les usages à respecter:
• Often we use «us», «we» or «our» when referring to the company we work for ; this makes the company seem more personable.
• Avoid using internal company jargon and acronyms when relaying general company information to external listeners.
• Generally after presenting the main products, key figures and facts of a company, the presenter will also include information on charities supported, donations to research or environmental advances made thanks to the company
Quelques règles de bon anglais:
The gerund form The gerund (verb + ing) is usually introduced by the folowing expressions.
1) «To be involved in».
– My company is involved in manufacturing and distributing plastic pumps.
2) «To include».
– Our main activities include buying raw materials and assembling the components.
3) To consist of / in.
– The company’s main task consists of / in producing high quality dispensing systems. The present simple and present passive They are the most suitable tenses to use when presenting general facts and information.
1) Present simple.
– We have factories all over the world.
– We buy our raw materials from China.
– We produce glass bottles.
2) Present passive (to be + past participle).
– The company is called Jones Manufacturing.
– It’s based in Houston, Texas.
– 5,000 people are employed in the company.
Fill in the missing word(s), then check the result below :
business premises / wellequipped, market leader, do business with, retail outlets, head office / branch office, market share, in charge of, turnover / profit, trademark, workforce, production sites / world-wide, founded, parent company / subsidiary, division / brands, customer, competitors, wholesaler,components
1. Let’s start off with a bit of historical company background. Smith plc was ............ in 1901 by David Smith.
2. Tricon Restaurants, a famous company owning many types of modern restaurants, is the ............ of Pizza Hut. Kentucky Fried Chicken is another ............. in the group.
3. Nestlé Waters is the bottled water ............ of the Nestlé Group and has many famous ........... such as San Pellegrino, Contrex and Aquarel.
4. Our factories are implanted in many different countries. There are sixty-seven ............ producing billions of litres of bottled water ............
5. Our permanent ............ is about 10,000 people, but this can vary depending on fluctuating seasonal demand.
6. Our company is based in London where we have our ............, but we also have a ........... near Manchester where the marketing team works.
7. We have ............ in most large towns in Britain which are easily accessible for the general public.
8. Our biggest ........... is Elf, which buys 60% of our total production.
9. Virgin Airlines is one of British Airways main ........... as both companies are in the same line of business.
10. Last year our company’s ........... was £26 million with a ........... of £2 million.
11. Our ........... has recently increased to 40%, which is 5% more than our nearest competitor.
12. A company can easily be recognized as the producer of certain goods by stamping its .......... on them, and also using this in its advertising campaigns.
13. Regarding my own personal role in the company, I am ........... all aspects of the supply chain logistics.
14. Our main customer is Repsol, but we also ........... many other companies involved in oil exploration and production.
15. We consider ourselves lucky to occupy such modern and comfortable ..........., with a whole new layout of ........... open plan offices.
16. We have very little direct contact with the general public as we are a .......... and only sell to other companies and shops.
17. All .......... are thoroughly checked for quality issues before being assembled in the production area.
18. Being the .......... in our field means that our competitors often try to copy our techniques and strategies.
Solutions 1 : founded. 2 : parent company / subsidiary. 3 : division / brands. 4 : production sites / world-wide. 5 : workforce. 6 : head office / branch office. 7 : retail outlets. 8 : customer. 9 : competitors. 10 : turnover / profit. 11 : market share.12 : tra de mark. 13 : in charge of. 14 : do business with. 15 : business premises / wellequipped. 16 : wholesaler. 17 : components. 18 : market leader.