Les mots clés et expressions:
To canvass for businessDefinition : to prospect, to look for business, to try to obtain potential customers.Translation : Faire de la prospectionI am trying to determine if your company could benefit from…Definition : I need to establish if… would be useful to your company, I would like to know if… would be beneficial to your company.Translation : J’essaie de savoir si votre société peut bénéficier de…I would appreciate it if…Definition : I would be grateful if…, would you be so kind as to…Translation : Je vous serais reconnaissant si…To stay polite and simpleDefinition : to be courteous and straightforward, to remain respectful and uncomplicated.Translation : Rester poli et simpleIf I can be of further assistanceDefinition : if I can help you any further, should I be able to assist in anyway.Translation : Si je peux vous aider davantagePlease do not hesitate to contact meDefinition : please contact me again, please get in touch with me.Translation : N’hésitez pas à me contacterThank you for taking the time to read thisDefinition : thank you for reading this, thank you for your time.Translation : Merci d’avoir pris le temps de lire ceciWe are an established industry leaderDefinition : we are solidly implanted amongst the leading industries.Translation : Nous sommes un leader reconnu dans l’industrieOur technology is provenDefinition : our technology is valid, our technology won’t let you down.Translation : Notre technologie a fait ses preuvesI would like to schedule a moment to discuss these pointsDefinition : I’d like to fix a time when we can go through these points.Translation : J’aimerais fixer un rendezvous pour approfondir ces pointsI’ll follow up shortly with a phone callDefinition : I’ll contact you again by phone.Translation : Je vous contacterai bientôt par téléphoneLet me introduce myselfDefinition : allow me to introduce myself, if I may tell you who I am.Translation : Permettez-moi de me présenterTo have good customer knowledgeDefinition : to know the relevant information about the customer, to have the necessary facts and details.Translation : Etre bien informé sur le clientI look forward to…Definition : I’m anxious to…, I’m excited about…, I hope to…Translation : J’attends avec impatience…To trigger a responseDefinition : to spark a reaction, to initiate a return contact.Translation : Provoquer une réponseA tailor-made offerDefinition : a personalized proposal, a customized offer/solution.Translation : Une offre sur mesureLet me highlight the benefits of our serviceDefinition : allow me to point out the advantages of our offer.Translation : Laissez-moi souligner les avantages de notre serviceTo personalizeDefinition : to use the person’s name, to have a personal approach, to be more human.Translation : PersonnaliserBest regardsDefinition : kind regards, cordially, best wishes.Translation : CordialementTo get straight to the pointDefinition : to get to the heart of the matter, to hit the crux of the arrangement.Translation : Aller à l’essentielTo be powerfulDefinition : to be forceful, to be persuasive, to be punchy.Translation : Etre percutantA promotional codeDefinition : a discount coupon, a special voucher for a promotional offer.Translation : Un bon de réductionA state-of-the-art solutionDefinition : an ultramodern product, the latest and most up-to-date offer.Translation : Une solution dernier criIn order to take advantage of this offerDefinition : so as to benefit from this offer, to be able to finalize this offer.Translation : Afin de pouvoir profiter de cette offreTo add a link to a websiteDefinition : to include a link to a website, to include a hyperlink.Translation : Mentionner un lien vers un site Web
Les usages à respecter:
• Always include at the end of a canvassing email the following : name, title, company, address, phone number.
• The following points are to be avoided as emails containing these features could be detected as spams : putting a whole word in upper case, using multiple exclamation marks, using the word «free».
• The subject line should be no more than 30-40 characters (5-8 words).
• Emoticons, jokes and abbreviations should not be used.
• The email should be limited to 15-20 lines , with no more than 60 characters wide on the page.
• We usually add a postscript at the end of the email to go back over the key offer for greater impact on the reader.
Quelques règles de bon anglais:
The superlative adjectives
The superlative is formed in the following ways :
– Adjectives of one syllable : add «est» (oldest, biggest).
– Adjectives of two syllables ending in «y» : drop «y» and add «iest» (easiest, happiest).
– Other adjectives of two or more syllables : add «the most» (the most expensive, the most beautiful).
Some superlatives are irregular : the best, the worst, the least, the most, the farthest.
Decisions made at the time of speaking : the use of “will”
«Will» is used for promising action in the future or for making a spontaneous decision at the time of speaking :
– I’ll call you soon to discuss this in more detail.
– I’ll look into your request as soon as I get back.
– I’m sorry you didn’t receive my offer. I’ll send it again.
Use the expressions you have learnt in this lesson to fill in the missing word(s), then check the result below.
1. So, now you’ve read the subject heading, .............. I’m Brian Murphy from Inter Communications Limited.
2. You may be wondering what’s so special about our offer. Well, ............ in just a few short lines.
3. To give you a bit of background information, ............ with our best ever current market share of sixty-two per cent.
4. We personalize our service to meet our customer’s needs and that’s why I can proudly say that I have ............ just for you.
5. You’re looking for something modern and original which differs from all other companies. We have ............ which will satisfy your desires.
6. A good prospecting email should generate interest from a potential customer and thus ............ with a desire for more information.
7. In order ............ one has to be extremely proactive and imaginative and not just wait for the customer to make the first move.
8. I appreciate that your time is very precious so I’ll ............ and tell you what this offer entails.
9. When drafting out a canvassing email, it’s important ............ and persuasive with the language used, but not too aggressive.
10. ............ just quote the ............ stated at the top of this email whenever you next buy from Tecks Office Supplies.
11. So this gives you a basic outline of our current offer ............. if you require more information about anyof our products.
12. Now ready to close this email, I would just like to ............ and I hope to hear from you soon.
13. If I did my homework correctly then these key items could be useful for your activity. ............. Could we get together sometime?
14. ............ hearing from you in the very near future.
15. ............ so that we can discuss the proposition further having allowed a few days for you to think it over beforehand.
Solutions : 1 : let me introduce myself. 2 : let me highlight the benefits of our service. 3 : we are an established industry leader. 4 : a tailor-made offer. 5 : a state-of-the-art solution. 6 : trigger a response. 7 : to canvass for business. 8 : get straight to the point. 9 : to be powerful. 10 : In order to take advantage of this offer/promotional code. 11 : Please do not hesitate to contact me. 12 : thank you for taking the time to read this. 13 : I would like to schedule a moment to discuss these points. 14 : I look forward to. 15 : I’ll follow up shortly with a phone call.